Thursday, December 3, 2009

STNG

I thought the episode "A Measure of a Man" was very interesting. It debated what made you human. I thought this episode had a very good message. When looking at the world, a lot of people are treated as if they are not human; they have no rights as a person and can not choose for themselves. I thought the ruling at the end of the episode where they said that he had the right to choose was very fitting. They said that he can feel and is aware of everything going on around him therefore he should be able to choose. I think that this should be applied across the world and everyone should be given the right to choose what they want.
When I looked at this episode verses the episode of the original Star Trek I watched I found some similarites and differences. First, the ship, the Enterprise, was in both. Also, both the episodes try to be very futuristic. One of the differences between the episodes I watched was who the conflicts were between. In the original episode, the crew was dealing with aliens that were from another planet and in Next Generation they were dealing with an internal conflict. Also, there seemed to be ships other than the Enterprise in the show.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you compared the episode to real life, that we still don't treat other people the way that we should. And I completely agree with you. If we had a set of rules that said whether is something human or not (like there awareness) then it could eliminate racism. Because everyone would qualify and there would be no way to disprove it.

    ReplyDelete