Thursday, November 26, 2009

Star Trek

I watched season 3 episode 1 of Star Trek. In this episode the Enterprise goes and lands on a planet even though Kirk was warned against it. When they land they find that they have been transported to a town from the past and they are now characters in a reenactment of a gun fight. The crew tries to prevent the fight and Chekov is killed. Spock finally realizes that nothing in this town is real and convinces everyone else of this. After everyone is convinced, history replays its self but the bullets have no affect this time. After everything is over the entire crew, including Chekov, returns to the Enterprise. Here they are confronted by Earps who says that he has gained a new respect for the Federation since they spared his life.

I think Star Trek is very different than anything we have watched before for the most part. As an older show, I think it has some different goals. Star Trek is more what I think of when I think scfy. It got the aliens and space ships and stuff like that. Also, it seems to try to be very futuristic, but almost in a cheesy way. Every other scfy episode we watched was more modern and relatable. The only thing similar to Star Trek would be Firefly, and even that was very different. It had a space ship with a captain but that seems to be the only way it relates. I feel like Star Trek didn't really have much of a message to the viewer and that it was really directed towards relating to life. I definitely prefer the other scfy shows, such as Buffy, to this because I can relate them back to my own life easier.

5 comments:

  1. I can see what you mean with Star Trek being at little out dated and Buffy being more relevant to your life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your absol. right, when i think of Buffy I dont really think of scfi, but when you mention Star Trek, BSG and shows like that, then that is the first thing that comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Star Trek is definitely one of those shows you can just watch because they're not going to make any pop culture references obvious like in Buffy or recent Sci Fi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how Captain Kirk spared the Earps life and then was rewarded for that at the end. That seems like the hidden message in this episode

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the samilar ideas about this episode. It is a little far away from my life. Compared with Buffy, I prefer Buffy more, which is more relevant to my life.

    ReplyDelete