Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Princess Screamed Once

I think that it is very interesting that in this episode Buffy assumes that she is the hero. When Giles says that the monsters were killed when the princess screamed once, Buffy automatically wrote, "How do I get my voice back?" (Wilcox 148). She knows that because she is the slayer, this is her responsibility. I really like that the girl is always the hero in this series, and this episode reinforces that even more. By saying that the princess defeats the monsters, it is empowering girls. The only thing that I think would be even more interesting is if there were other girls that could possibly be the princess. This would show that one girl does not always have to save the world. It would send the message that it could be any girl, and not just a vampire slayer. Basically, I think it would send the message that you don't have to do something big to save the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment